The sad Reality of Uttar Pradesh is that we live in an increasingly violent society in which the fear of crime is ever-present. I m leaving in Kanpur. Personal safety has become an issue of importance for everyone here, but especially for women.
Here is my 10 Smart Suraksha Tips for surviving in my City.
1. The first and probably most important component in Smart Suraksha is "Awareness", awareness of your self, your surroundings. When you are in a new place make some mental notes about your surroundings; street names, landmarks, suspicious behavior etc. Nine times out of 10 you can avoid a bad situation before it occurs. So be Aware.
2. "Sixth Sense" your intuition is a powerful subconscious insight into situations and people. All of us, especially women, have this gift, but very few of us pay attention to it. Avoid a person or a situation which does not feel safe–you’re probably right.
3. Your Voice is your first measure of self defense. weather it be a conversation with someone you know or a stranger on the street. Your voice can act as a protective wall between you and any threatening behavior. in any case your body language should match your voice. Standing straight, making eye contact and keeping a serious face are important.
4. Always keep your distance when walking past strangers on the street or in dark areas. Remember the "Elbow"is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, DO.
5. If a person is trying to abuse you, then shout as loud as you can. because a person with such bad intention never like the incident to come in front of the Mob. And this is indeed a very important thing to follow.
6. Always have some things likes chili powder, noise making instruments, tear gas spray and most of all never forget to have a mobile phone with you. Because whenever you smell the bad intention of someone out there, get ready with your phone and type the emergency numbers for safety. If any attack happens, call without any delay.
7. There are vulnerable areas that you can take advantage of to get away: nose, eyes, stomach, instep (top of his feet), and last but certainly not least, his groin. You can either use the bottom of your palm to punch and thrust his nose upward, use your nails and fingers to poke and scratch out his eyes. If he grabs you from behind, put your fist in the other hand as if you were punching your hand (like you're holding your fist and your elbows are pointing out). Turn and Use your hand to shove your elbow back into his stomach.
8. Don't accept a lift from someone you don't know or someone you know has been drinking.
9. If you are in car parking area in any mall or work place, Look at the car parked on the drivers side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back in to the mall or work and get a guard/policeman to walk you backout. It is always better to be safe than Sorry.
10. If you are taking a taxi alone in the night, then don’t forget to the note the taxi’s number, driver’s name and any other info you can collect about him or his vehicle. Talk to someone over phone and tell them the info’s that you just collected.